2.08.2009

Pinocchio at the Theater

On a recent Sunday afternoon, we took Maddy to a Pinocchio puppet show at Teatro San Marco in Vicenza. The little theatre was packed with eager and happy little Italian children and their parents.


The show was okay, at best. Great for children, though.


The part of the experience worth a remark or two was the sale of psychedelic, migraine-inducing wands.

Who in their right minds sells these wands to children before the start of a show in a dark, crowded theater, AND then continues to sell them during the break?


No one seemed to mind.
I got over it fairly quickly, too.
It's hard to get over that constant comparison, that "this would never happen in the States" mentality.
Really hard.
I try to stop at the comparisons and forgo the judgment.
Try.
Admittedly, I am not always successful with that.

And yes, Maddy did score a wand.
Hey -- when in Rome. . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha. Cute "ending" with Maddy and her wand ... I was wondering if she got one, too. I know it is hard not to compare. My husband is *so* patient with me when I fail (at my attempts NOT to compare)!