9.01.2009

yes, i garden

How does your garden grow?

In March I "landscaped," and I use that term loosely, our little patch of land directly behind the house. I had no idea what to expect from the things I planted. In fact, I began with the thought that this would be a learning process for me, and I expected to have to replace over 50 percent of it, if not more. I did it all under the watchful eye of the neighbors. I think that they approved; although, one person did not like the mulch and suggested that it would grow mold. Only time will tell . . . however, lookie here:

March 2009

August 2009

Not a single plant was added between March and August; some were, however, removed. We were gone for a great deal of the summer and relied on the kindness of neighbors to "tend the garden." I laid a watering hose along with a black ground cover under the mulch, making watering as simple as turning on the spigot. They watered when they remembered. The plants grew, profusely. They are still growing, with no insecticides and no fertilizer. My goodness, look at the olive tree!


This rose bush started as a stick of plant packed in sawdust that I selected at the commissary. It is absolutely huge now & continues to blossom and blossom. I thought that roses were difficult?

I put two of the tiniest lavender plants available into the ground. Now I have bushes, bushes that the bees love.

The crepe myrtle was a leafless, seemingly lifeless stick bunch when I planted it. I doubted that it was even alive, but the gardener assured me. I bought a crepe myrtle because is reminds me of the Southern US. I miss that place.


In the other patch of land, Mr. Duncan attempted a vegetable garden. He planted a few things, but the cherry tomatoes have been the most successful.

A Little Cherry Tomato Jungle


The red pepper plants are making veggies, but they are not fairing well. Ferruccio told me that his plants didn't do well this year either.


The little science experiment that we started here was indeed a success. We missed the best days of the giant sunflowers, but Mr. Duncan is thinking of harvesting the seeds. Any suggestion?

I think I have earned the right to say: "Oh, yes, I garden." (I won't mention the incredible fertility of the land in these parts.)

PS. The pomodorini are the perfect taste of summer.

14 comments:

Francesca said...

It really looks great, Dana! I can't believe how much your olive tree has grown, do you know what kind it is? We planted our very own olive tree in the spring (we never did before because we always thought we'd stay here two years ...) and it looks very much like it did then. I once harvested sunflower seeds (a burgundy heirloom US variety): you need to wait until they are mature which is when they become loose (the petals will all have long dried, and the flower will sort of curve outwards)

Samantha said...

Brava! Looks great!

Dana said...

Love the Crepe Myrtles...the little town I am from is the "town of Crepe Myrtles." I love seeing them here; reminds me of home.

Dana said...

Francesca,
Sorry, I have no idea. When I bought it, it was trimmed down to a little ornamental ball / bush. I never expected it to have such a growth spurt!

Dana..I love them too! I wonder how they can thrive in Southern Louisiana and Vicenza, two very different climates.

jane said...

yes you do! i´m impressed! LOVE you ice cream photos! and just watched jk´s wedding today (again) because it makes me happy... am off to catch up more! besos-jane

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Gorgeous garden! You have every right to proudly say you "garden" and that you have a "green thumb". We have been hard at work in our yard. Hope we have similar success. Seeing your garden makes me think we need to plant an olive tree and add some lavendar. Hope the start of school has been good for you.

Janis said...

What wonderful plantings you have! So many things I have had and want again in my garden. Today I am planning an overhaul of the frontyard. My plan: native plants, low-water (absolutely no lawn) ... got to do it :)

Dana said...

Not so sure about the green thumb....the land & sun are magical here -- I'm convinced -- magical Italian sun (even in the North) :)

Theresa said...

love the comparison photos!

Saretta said...

You must have a natural green thumb. If I tried that everything would die, because I never even remember to water!

Saretta said...

You must have a natural green thumb. If I tried that everything would die, because I never even remember to water!

Saretta said...

You must have a natural green thumb. If I tried that everything would die, because I never even remember to water!

Saretta said...

You must have a natural green thumb. If I tried that everything would die, because I never even remember to water!

Joyce said...

Whoaza... your garden did grow and beautiful! xoxo